Tuesday, February 5, 2008
I don't get paid enough!
I thought I would share with all of you an interesting experience I had at school. As most of you know I have lunch duty everyday which also includes recess duty. The autistic student in our classroom usually goes out for that recess too to spend time with the other kids. One of the special ed. teachers (not the one I work with) goes out with him. This teacher can't see or hear well, which makes it hard to watch an autistic child running around the playground. Well, the other day this teacher was reading with another student at recess so I followed our austistic student around to keep my eye on him. There were a few students playing on the ice and I went over to tell them to play somewhere else. The other students did what I asked but this student didn't think he needed to listen to me. I tried to get him off by distracting him and talking about something else but he continued to slide on the ice. I finally had to grab him and started pulling him towards the school. He began to scream and hit me ALOT. I got hit in the face and pretty much all over. We got closer to the school and he fell to the ground and started kicking me. Finally, some teachers saw me and ran over to help. His mom was called and he was sent home. Later in the day I got a headache because of the hits to the face. The teacher I work with told me to just go home. I didn't argue. When I got home I just cried. It wasn't that I was hurt or anything, I was just frustrated because I didn't know what to do in the situation. Nothing I did calmed him down and other students were out there watching. That afternoon I got a little stomach bug and it continued through Friday so I stayed home. I was okay with having a break and not going back right away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment