So I thought I should give an update on how my job is going. Overall, I have really enjoyed being an aide these past few weeks. The pay obviously isn't fabulous but I love that I am able to come home at 2:30 and not have to worry about writing lesson plans or grading papers. The special ed room was a little crazy the first few weeks of school, trying to get a schedule worked out for what students come at what times. They finally had a schedule worked out for me which has been nice because I know what I will be doing everyday without too many surprises. Since I have a teaching license they have given me some groups of my own to work with. I have made some good connections with these students and I think they enjoy our times together. One thing that I do not like about my job is lunch duty. It's only 40 minutes but I dread that 40 mintues every day. I supervise the 1st and 2nd graders so you can imagine how hard it is to keep a room full of them quiet. We want the students to talk but they don't seem to understand that they don't have to yell at their friend across the table to talk to them. This past week we had ISTEP and I worked with three students separately. I really struggled with one particular student. He has a rough home life and he just hates the world right now and everyone in it. It's hard to make him do regular class work let alone an ISTEP test, which isn't at his academic level of course. I get so frustrated because he needs so much and I can't do anything about it. It's so sad for me to see the life and attitude of this third grader. So many students deal with things they shouldn't have to. Pray that I can make some sort of difference in the lives of these students in the short times I meet with them this year.
Monday, September 24, 2007
Job Update
So I thought I should give an update on how my job is going. Overall, I have really enjoyed being an aide these past few weeks. The pay obviously isn't fabulous but I love that I am able to come home at 2:30 and not have to worry about writing lesson plans or grading papers. The special ed room was a little crazy the first few weeks of school, trying to get a schedule worked out for what students come at what times. They finally had a schedule worked out for me which has been nice because I know what I will be doing everyday without too many surprises. Since I have a teaching license they have given me some groups of my own to work with. I have made some good connections with these students and I think they enjoy our times together. One thing that I do not like about my job is lunch duty. It's only 40 minutes but I dread that 40 mintues every day. I supervise the 1st and 2nd graders so you can imagine how hard it is to keep a room full of them quiet. We want the students to talk but they don't seem to understand that they don't have to yell at their friend across the table to talk to them. This past week we had ISTEP and I worked with three students separately. I really struggled with one particular student. He has a rough home life and he just hates the world right now and everyone in it. It's hard to make him do regular class work let alone an ISTEP test, which isn't at his academic level of course. I get so frustrated because he needs so much and I can't do anything about it. It's so sad for me to see the life and attitude of this third grader. So many students deal with things they shouldn't have to. Pray that I can make some sort of difference in the lives of these students in the short times I meet with them this year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am sure you are just the person to make this lil guy feel special. You truly have a gift, Megan...and whether you will ever see the difference you are making or not, I am sure he will always remember the time you gave him. Especially if you get to read to him...i know i will never forget the stories you read to me :)
Post a Comment