Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Kaitlyn Joy Zehr

Our daughter, Kaitlyn, has finally arrived! I had a wonderful pregnancy as well as a great labor and delivery experience. Thursday, April 21st (my due date) I had a doctor appointment after school. My doctor said I was 2 1/2 cm dilated. She stripped my membrane and then I was put on the monitor for a little while. Aaron and I took a walk when we got home. We made supper and I began to have harder contractions. We started charting them at 6:00 that night. From then on it was a very long night. For the next 15 hours I labored at home. It was a rough time because my contractions were 5 minutes apart or less and then work back up to 10 apart, then back down to 5, then back up to 10. They were never consistantly 5 or less. I thought I would be in labor forever! I called the hospital twice and they kept saying to wait. Aaron was such a wonderful support to me. He timed my contractions and did whatever I needed him to. At 8:30 the next morning I called the doctor's office to see if she could do anything. My doctor wasn't there so I talked to a nurse. While I was talking to her I had a contraction and she told me to go to the hospital. So we loaded the car and made our way.

When I got up to OB they checked me and I was 4 cm dilated so they sent me to a labor and delivery room. After two hours (11:00)I got an epidural. I felt good about the timing of that. I didn't want one right away because I wanted to experience some of the harder labor contractions, however, I was ready by the time the anesthesiologist came. The afternoon went very well. I got some short naps and Aaron and I played a little Skip-Bo. :) My blood pressure did go down a couple times and I got light headed. My doctor came around 12:30 to break my water. When I was 8 cm dilated they gave me some pitocin. My contractions were never consistent and I wasn't dilating very quickly. Once that happened things started to speed up.

The doctor came a little after 4:30 to check on me and she said I was ready to push! I only pushed for about 15 minutes! We could see her head on the first set of pushes. Kaitlyn was born on April 22 at 5:11 that afternoon, almost 24 hours after labor began. They laid her on my chest as soon as she was born. It was such an amazing experience! She was 7 lbs. 14 oz. and 21 inches long. They cleaned her up and brought her back to me for a little "skin-to-skin" time and I nursed her. After awhile they gave her a bath and I was able to eat supper. I was starving! Aaron got to hold her for the first time. That was a beautiful picture as well. :) About 2 hours after I delivered the nurse realized she hadn't turned off the epidural. So, I had to wait two more hours in the delivery room.

At 7:05 Aaron realized that he should get something to eat. He asked the nurses and they said the cafeteria closed at 7:00. So we called some friends and they brought him some food. They didn't mind because they could see the baby. :)

The hospital stay was a great experience. The nurses were great. I loved being able to push a button and have what I needed! Kaitlyn stayed in our room the whole time. Saturday we had a lot of visitors from church and Aaron's family made a quick trip to meet her. Sunday was Easter. Aaron went to church and Kaitlyn and I watched Dr. David Jeremiah's sermon on TV. :) My friend Holly came to be with me for a little while so I wasn't by myself.

We left the hospital around 6:00. Kaitlyn cried the whole way home but fell asleep on my chest when we got here. My parents arrived shortly after. My dad left the next day but my mom stayed for a few days. She was such a big help! It was so hard to see her go. My grandpa and grandma Juday came down to visit and then mom went home with them.

Overall, things have been going so well! Kaitlyn has been doing great in the night. I usually only get up once to feed her. She is great during the day. I feed her, we snuggle, and she spends time in the swing while I do things around the house. She is typically fussy in the evenings. I feel bad for Aaron because that's when he gets to be with her. Aaron has been so wonderful these past few days. I know my hormones are all over the place right now but the other day I just cried because I'm so thankful for him and the wonderful husband and now father that he is. Kaitlyn and I are so blessed!

Here are more pictures from Kaitlyn's first few days!

5 comments:

Kelsey said...

I remember vividly crying about the same exact thing with Brenna....Brad didn't know what to do with me I was so hormonal! :) And evening fussy time is also a Bullock trait. We call it the witching hour! Hang in there, hope you're getting some great sleep!

Jewel said...

Yay! So happy for you. She is beautiful and I love that head full of dark hair!! So glad you had a good pregnancy and delivery. Looking forward to more pictures now that she's a little older. <3

Tyler and Jena said...

Kaitlyn is the prettiest baby we have ever seen!!! I can't wait to hold her and cuddle her too!!!
-Jena (and Tyler)

Hope E said...

She is soo cute!!

pkgormong said...

yay congrats! You are already a wonderful mother, I can just tell! Don't worry all babies are fussy in the evenings...it is fussy time or something like that...at least that is what I have heard it called:) Glad things are going well!
love, kara