Monday, April 23, 2007

Literacy Job Update

I just wanted to give a little update on how my new job is going. I absolutely love what I am doing! I work with 4 groups of kindergarteners for 20 minutes each and will soon be adding two first grade groups. I decided that I enjoy kindergarteners much more when they are in small groups. :) They are just adorable. Today we were talking about what their daily routines are and one girl said, "I eat dinner at 10 and I go to bed at 13." I love the funny comments! I work for about 17 hours a week. Because my payment comes from a grant, if I work over those 17 hours, I still only get paid for 17 so I try to be wise with my time. In my groups we read a new book each week and I teach various skills and strategies through activities and games. Next week all the literacy specialists are doing benchmark testing for grades k-5. I'm looking forward to assessing students in the other grades as well as my own. What I enjoy most about my job is the variety and being able to work with many different students. I was given a cart to store my materials and I move from room to room to work with the students. I went to Walmart to buy cups to keep my materials organized. I was pretty excited about that! :) I'm saddened by the fact that I just started this job and the school year is almost over. I wish I would have been able to start earlier because I really enjoy it. I could definitely do something like this down the road after teaching in a regular classroom.
Also, if you would continue praying for Aaron and I in the hunt for a youth pastor position. We visited a church this weekend and we would appreciate prayer as we are seeking God's will in this matter.

1 comment:

Lee and Becca said...

Did the visit with the church go well? We've been praying for you as you figure out where it is that you are to be in the upcoming months....that the Lord would really give you a direction and a peace knowing that wherever you end up is where He wants you to be...
-Becca & Lee